My Recipe for Sun Protection
It’s that time of year again – sunny days & longer nights – we’ve been waiting for this for awhile!
Its summer ……….it makes us come alive again – stepping out of the colder months & into the warmth of the sun.
Our skin starts to go through some changes as well – its time to ensure that your skin is protected from the sun & the damaging effects of free radical damage (aging).
We need to be really diligent & protect our skin from both the effects of the sun & ensure that our skin is well nutriented. You may ask how can I do this & its not an uncommon question that I get asked.
What should I look for in a sunblock & when should I apply it?
My recipe for sun protection:
- Ensure that it is a reputable brand – that’s my job to ensure you have the best for your skin
- Your sunscreen must protect your skin from both UVA & UVB damage
- Ideally your skin care prescription should contain a “bunch of anti-oxidants” – A, C, E & alpha-lipoic acid are a few. A & C are a must in any regime (best combo skin food meal deal).
- Chemicals are evident in most sun screens – all are not created equally – as is with sun protection. Chemicals play a major role in protecting the skin in this case however too much can also be aging & destructive in the skin.
- Apply 20 minutes before heading out in the sun – skincare first that contains loads of anti-oxidants (all my skincare brands cover this extremely well), then sun protection (in clinic I recommend RAD, Reflect, Hands Free 30+ SPF), then a Jane Iredale mineral makeup SPF 20.
- All sunscreens must be reapplied after exercise, swimming or around 2hours outside. No exceptions no matter the SPF.
- Well nourished skin will result in healthy skin – healthy skin is truly beautiful skin
- Each of us has our own unique skin care needs & although there are some vital skincare basics it is best to ensure you have a regime that will work for your skin & you.
- Your skincare prescription should be tailored to address your skins needs ensuring that it is lavished with a feast of Vitamins & antioxidants.
Its that time to come into the clinic & give your skin a good WOF – address any concerns, prepare it for summer & protect it for your future.